Thursday, September 3, 2009

Old Bessie Died & Disney Called

Yes. That is actually how my day went. Let me explain. "Old Bessie" is the name I gave our 50+ year old furnace that chose NOW to be the time she passed into that great graveyard of misc. mechanicals. Old Bessie has been a faithful servant and we are grieved at her passing. Or should I say, we are grieved at her replacement, costing a mere $10,000. Not kidding. And not the best timing.
But the Universe taketh and the Universe giveth back. I got a call from a Disney producer today. Yes, I really did. My Uncle works with him and passed my song, Butterfly Moon, along months ago. They liked it, but there needed to be the "right" project for it. After some time went by I figured my chance had passed so I went ahead to release the CD myself.  I literally got home from DiscMakers this afternoon, where I finally dropped off my master CD for pressing, along with my design and artwork (that I worked on until 2am last night) when I got the call. The Disney producer said they are interested in my song but I'd need to change the lyrics to make it work to fit the movie "Up". I ended up practically writing a whole new song called Magical Sky within an hour. Same tune, different lyrics. They are doing a new product to promote the movie - a song and story book - and want a few songs to go with it. If the song gets picked they will not only want to buy it, but they want me to sing it! I would probably be able to record it locally and I explained I'd be out of the country and that was fine - it could wait till I got back. (Jeff & Ruby can easily come to the studio with me.) How great is that? 

The chance to get in with a company like Disney is incredible as they would be open to hearing more material that I write in the future. Not to mention that this credit could help me sell my lullaby CD and raise money for Mercy!  I will get paid to sing it and paid for the song.  It's not a big money maker as it's not for a movie. He said, don't think Ferrari, but think of enough to take a nice vacation. (LOL -How about enough for a furnace?) I'm an unknown so Disney will own everything, but I think I will still own my own version still called Butterfly Moon and can still release it on my album.  I think. Have to find out for sure. This is not a done deal yet, but so exciting I had to share. Had to call DiscMakers back and tell them to put everything on hold for a few days till I know for sure. 

Wow, what a whirlwind the last 2 weeks has been! Busier and more exciting than the last 2 years combined! Been running like a mad woman trying to get everything we need for Ruby, everything we need for the trip, laundry done & packed, stuff put away, shower thank-you's sent, diapers and crib sheets washed, freezer stocked, contractors to give estimates, CD done, and house cleaned. It's almost all done. (Still have packing & cleaning to do and possibly new vocals to record next week). I had to re-write my lyrics and record a rough vocal of me singing it and send it to them by 4pm their time. While trying to record the phone was ringing, the dog was barking, and another heater guy showed up to give an estimate. Much excitement around here! 

Geez, no wonder I'm tired. But you know what? I am so happy you couldn't slap the smile off my face! Tired or not. The music thing is really nice, but really that is so minor in the grand scheme of things. I am meeting my daughter!!!! My beautiful sweet daughter!!! We get to hold her and love her and she will never be alone again. I feel blessed beyond measure. 

8 comments:

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

OMG that is so freaking exciting!!! I mean I am really excited for you!! You will be Disney Famous!!! Ruby has no idea that her mommy is a beautiful singer and FAMOUS on top of it:)

You will sit down on the plane and collapse...hopefully into a nice deep sleep for most of the trip.

sucks about bessie, we just started getting roof bids this week, and I so feel your pain. How can things cost so much??

Happy Packing and the countdown is on!!!

Kam said...

Yay! Disney? You go, girly! That's awesome! Good for you!

And hey, you've got like 6 days! AH! Tomorrow is Friday! And next Friday doesn't even count and today is practically over! 6 days! This whole thing has come down to like a week before you hold your daughter. Amazing!

Can't wait!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Jules! I am so not famous, but yea, it's pretty cool. Heard back from them tonight and the VP of Disney Records listened to it and liked. Woa. They don't think it's right for their current project, however they think it WILL work for the next release coming out soon and they are going to send me the story line so I can take it with me and work on it. Ha, I'll have it written on the plane! The producer told me, good work! Looks like we are going to get you on a Disney product! Yay! That'd be real nice!

And only 1 week till we go! LOL about the plane. Heck by the time we heave all my luggage on there I think we'll BOTH take a good, long nap! :-)

Maci Miller said...

or 6 days! You are so right, Kam - tomorrow doesn't really count! :-)

Ellie said...

That's awesome, Jen!!! You certainly do have a TON of stuff going on right now!!! I knew you had to be busy b/c I hadn't heard from you for awhile and you aren't posting!!! :) So, so happy for ya!

Nichole and Craig said...

That is awesome news Jen. You will have Ruby and a Disney contract all in the same year. 8-)What a perfect year 2009 is turning out to be for everyone.
See you soon
Nichole

Jessica said...

So cool! Everything is coming together. The future that couldn't be seen before. So excited for you about it ALL.

rosemary said...

Congratulations! Much excitement for you!! Your voice is perfect for Disney and I think they will love working with you for a long time.