Saturday, September 12, 2009

WE MADE IT!

Whew! After a somewhat rocky start, we made it! We were close to missing the first flight due to major traffic but it got delayed anyway so we had plenty of time. Still we were nervous about the second one because we only had a half hour to make the connection in Chicago. We arrived at Gate B and of course, had to go all the way to Gate C to make the flight to Tokyo. We were nervous and literally RAN through the airport with all our stuff. Poor Jeff was carrying the 2 heavy carry-ons. One had 2 laptops, all the electronics, and all the adoption paperwork. The other was a change of clothes and shoes for all of us and my fancy hairdryer and clarisonic skin brush that I HAD to have. I had all our blankets and travel pillows plus my own huge diaper bag carry on. What a sight we must have been!  Sweat streaming down Jeff's face, me huffing like I ran a marathon. Cause we DID. As we were tearing down the hall I heard "Kitzmillers please report to Gate B16, final call". I ran even faster and was like WAAAAAIT! Thank GOD, we made it!

Once we got on there, everything about our day changed dramatically. The people at United knew their flights were always late and saw how tired and stressed we were. I was so relieved just to be on that plane but was also a bit worried about the luggage not making it. They assured us that they are really good about luggage on international flights and not to worry. Within minutes our flight attendant told his supervisors about us and they were all back at our seats taking care of us. So incredibly sweet, this crew! We told them about the adoption and they kept coming back with bottles of water, gifts from business class (toiletries), even a glass of wine from first class with our dinner! The 12 hour flight was a breeze. We both slept, watched some good movies, ate a lot of rice and noodles. Another nice thing about United is when we checked in at Philadelphia, the guys saw it was Jeff's birthday and heard us talking about the bag for the orphanage and WAIVED the overage fee for our bags! For ALL of them! Talk about nice! Saved us a fair amount of money cause let me tell you those bags are HEAVY!!!

As you can tell I am wide awake and thrilled to get internet at our airport hotel. We had some average room service and Jeff is taking a nap. I need to try to do the same. We need to be up at 4am and it's one now. Both of us slept about 3 hours on the Chicago-Tokyo flight and 4 from Tokyo to Bkk. Not too bad. Think I am just hyped up with excitement!  We are meeting our daughter later today! How amazing is that?

19 comments:

Ellie said...

Thanks for sharing your excitement!!! What a trip! Laurel says, "That's SO awesome!" Jacob says, "Hooray for you!" We're all so happy for you! What a nice flight crew you had! Can't wait to read up on your first interactions with Ruby (and Lily, of course :-)

Kam said...

I'm hanging on every word, Jen!!!! Thanks so much for posting and let us peek into your day! We are praying and thanking God for safe travels! Not long now, mama!!!

Chris and Terri said...

Oh My Goodness! TG you made it and best wishes for your first date with Ruby! I figured you were doing some vaca first - didn't realize I'd be getting Ruby News so quickly!!

YAY!

PS - we had to do some running and hurdling in the airports before with kids held like footballs so I get that whole visual. I was near tears when I realized we made it and it wasn't even an "important" flight like this one was for you! We must have been a site - thankfully, no time for anyone to call security for the football holds on our kids :)

Nadine, Conn & Suri said...

So wonderful. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. I am so excited for you and yeah, you can tell your Wired...but as I read, I can certainly picture the experince. Cannot wait to hear more

John and Nancy said...

Jen I am so happy for you guys!!! Keep us updated! Give Ruby a big hug from both of us!
Love,
Nancy and John

Jessica said...

You're there!! One of my first thoughts as I rolled out of bed this morning was, I wonder if they made it. And, you did, safe and sound with a workout to boot. Hurray. But, I've got to tell you, you really have my interest peaked about this hairdryer now.

dawn said...

You are there, in the same country as Ruby. Mummy and Daddy are coming Ruby. Let the Happily Ever After's begin.

Sending a huge hug.

love me

Nichole and Craig said...

So happy to hear you made it safe and sound. Now get some sleep so you will be bright eyed and bushy tailed for Ruby.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Jen, that was quite a travel experience!! Glad that the long leg ended up being nice!!

I am hoping you have already gotten ruby, and can't wait to get up on the morning and hopefully see pictures!!

Thinking of you, and sending good thoughts to ruby for an easy transition!!

christina said...

YAY! Counting down the hours....

emily said...

more! more! we want to hear more! can't wait to see pictures of Ruby IN YOUR ARMS at long last!

dawn said...

just looking for news....BIG NEWS. THe day the world changed, kind of news!!!!
Thinking of you with great excitement.
love us

Mireille said...

I AM SO HAPPY YOU MADE IT IN ONE PIECE!! JEEZ... WHAT AN EXCITEMENT AND IT SHOULD ALL START ONLY THE MOMENT YOU ARE THERE, NOT ON THE WAY!! THINKING ABOUT YOU GUYS ALL THE TIME!! CHOCK DEE!

waiting4brianna said...

How exciting!!By now you have probably met your daughter. I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about it. Enjoy!!
Dawn from the mall

Hannah said...

So excited for you! I keep checking back for more updates! I hope all is going well!!!!!

Julie said...

You must be so excited! This bring back so many memories of when we net Panit. Enjoy every moment
lie

rosemary said...

I have been thinking of you guys all weekend! I'm glad that your flight went well and that you're in good spirits! I can't wait to hear everything about little miss Ruby! Congratulations on this perfect moment, friend!!

Carey and Norman said...

So glad that your trip to Thailand went so well. Sounds a bit crazy at the airport, but I'm glad to hear that the crew on board was so helpful and nice. What a highlight of the trip. I always love hearing about flight attendents going out of their way for adoptive parents. You have enough to worry about without worrying about your flights!

So glad you are in Thailand with Miss Ruby!

Megan said...

Laughing my head off at the picture at the Chicago airport! My hubby and I have our own funnies there too! So glad it went smoothly for the rest of the trip!

Blessings~