Monday, September 14, 2009

When Time Stood Still

There are almost no words to describe the last 2 days. Except fairy tale. And day dream. And absolutely amazing! We met Ruby yesterday - or "Mode" as they call her and now we do too (for now). She clung to me from the first minute and by then end of the day not only said Mae but also Mommy! She is an absolute angel and she is sleeping soundly in her crib in our hotel room as I type! We had the most amazing day at the orphanage yesterday. We spent about 3-4 hours and it was like time stood still. We had lots of quality time with our sweet Mode, we got to hold and play with her friend Lily, we got to see 2 boys that are going to Wacap families, and we gave all the children new toys. They were so cute and excited! The toddlers were napping when we first arrived, so we went shopping at the Tesco Lotus and bought TONS of clothes, toys, formula, and diapers for the kids. I was dying to blog yesterday but couldn't get a good connection. Tonight I can get connection but can't send email. It's driving me a bit crazy cause I have good news to tell and many pictures to share!!

To Ellie: WE GOT LILY WITH A SMILE! A big, beautiful smile and she looked soooo precious! She got all your gifts and they showed her your picture and she knows about you. I was seriously impressed with the head nanny of the toddler room. She had Lily laughing like crazy! I got lots of pics for you and video, too. Will send you as soon as I possibly can. I know you must be dying for some news from here. Hopefully, we can figure out the internet problem soon! I have her height, shoe size, and measurements for you too!

To Lynn & To Leah - I saw your boys and got pictures! Both adorable and sweet boys. We bought them (and others) remote control cars. They love electronics but aren't allowed so that was the closest thing! Will send you pics as soon as the server will let me send mail.

The nanny in the toddler room had all the kids laughing and Ruby was singing this song about Chaang (elephant) and acting out all these motions to it. It was so darn cute that I could hardly believe my eyes and ears! Ruby hears fine and responded not only to them but also to me! She is doing incredibly well and is bonding already. It's all so surreal! We bought a video today of children singing and doing the Chaang song (and Ellie, I got you one too!)

Then today. Oh, my...today! If I had to write a story about a perfect day and how it would be, it couldn't be as beautiful as this day! She smiled as soon as she saw me today. I put my arms out to her and she came over to me with her arms up for me to pick her up. I went in first and Jeff stayed in the office to finish the paperwork. They let me run in quick cause I couldn't take it another second. I held her and she clung to me, smiled at me, talked for me. She hears very well and talks so cute and sweet! She can count, sing, and today she was picking up new words like crazy! Yesterday she said Mae & Paw, but today she said Mommy a lot more and Dadda and baby and about 5 other things I can't even think of right now. She repeats what we say and do. In the car I gave her a bottle and she slept like an angel in my arms for about a half hour. When she woke up I thought she would be scared or cranky, but no! She looked up at me and smiled! Then she looked out the window with amazement and excitement - pointing to each new thing. Jeff let me really bond with her first. He was so incredible. He took most of the pics and all the video yesterday and today and I held her the most. She wasn't too bad with him and he got some smiles out of her, but she was still clinging to me more and a bit shy with him.

WELL, you should have seen them today! We got this blow up thing that you rock and bounce on. Like a hippity hop. Ruby sat on one while Jeff played with a second one and he had her LAUGHING up a storm! And I mean laughing so hard she had tears almost coming. It was the cutest thing on earth! Then Jeff went over and dipped her foot in the pool and she smiled and wanted to go over. So we dipped just one foot in a bit. She loved it! We sat on the edge and before you know it she was soaked. I had to hold her back from jumping in she loved it so much! Fearless! So we all got our suits on and went for a swim. Well, for a splash, I should say! Stayed on the step but she was really brave and put her arms out for Daddy who took her out just a couple step and then back to me. It was amazing. She really bonded with him a lot today. It was beautiful to see.

So far we have had very little tears. Late this afternoon she we were sitting in the room and she broke out into full crying. I held and rocked her and she cried for maybe 10 minutes. Then we played a bit and was okay until maybe 15 minutes later she started again. This time even harder. Only lasted about 5 minutes this time because my brilliant husband whips out the organic goldfish like duck crackers. She loved them and instantly stopped crying. The poor thing was hungry!!! We forgot about the schedule! Silly new parents forgot to check the schedule. She eats dinner at 3:30 and it was 4 by the time we figured this out and found the sheet. OH! So we went out and had the cook make us some fried rice and she has been an angel ever since. (Duh!) We felt seriously stupid, but learned a good lesson. When in doubt...feed her! :-) We will be following a strict schedule tomorrow!!!

She eats like a champ, is sleeping like a log, and has the sweetest, laid back personality on earth! We are just in awe of her. I have been kissing her like crazy and taught her to kiss with the "mwa" sound. This afternoon at one point we were playing and I kissed her again with a lound "mwa"! She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek just the same!! We did this ten more times back and forth and then she gave kisses to Daddy, too. It was incredible! Such a loving little girl! How much more we love her every second! At dinner she just stopped at one point and stared at me. I smiled and she smiled and we just sat like that for a minute.She smiled at Daddy a lot too. We are seriously feeling like we stepped out of a dream.



19 comments:

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

I am crying tears of joy for you!! Sounds like you have had an amazing couple of days.

I am so glad that Ruby is adjusting so well. Her greiving sounds very normal and very positive that she is reacting in that way. This was exactly how Hayden reacted.

I soooo can't wait to see pictures of that beautiful girl.

Wishing the best for the rest of your trip, and I am so happy for you.

John and Nancy said...

I am so beside myself with excitement for you guys!!! What an incredible first few days together! I cannot wait to see photos! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures and for you to be home with your beautiful daughter! I miss you guys!
Love,
Nancy

dawn said...

Tears, goosebumps and everything......that is what I have for your new family.Congratulations Mummy and Daddy. lily will be so happy to know that Ruby is with you, finally.

Jessica said...

What beautiful first moments!! It was so hard not to cry as I read this. But, I'm at work, so I'll just choke back the tears.

Hurray for Ruby, hurray for you, hurray for Jeff, hurray for moments that should last forever.

Ellie said...

OH, JEN!!!! I've been dying here, to know what you've been up to!!!! So glad to hear such wonderful news! My mind was beginning to play tricks on me, wondering why you hadn't posted or emailed! (Although my rational side said that you just didn't have internet)

Sounds like things are going better than you could have dreamed or imagined! Cannot wait to see photos of your family, all together at last. Just dying to hear all the details. So very happy for you. Thanks for sharing. I love picturing all the different scenarios you shared... at the pool, on the bouncy toy, in the car, etc... Such sweet stories of first moments together!

And Lily!!! Cannot WAIT to see the footage of her laughing! And I'm sure you got some great photos! All her measurements!! yay!

Thanks, friend! We're celebrating for you today!
Love, Ellie and family

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so excited to see this post! My computer was down this morning and I couldn't wait to check your blog! So very glad to hear how well Ruby is doing and that your time together has been so heavenly! I'm so glad that after such a long wait, you are finally with your baby girl and that you were made for one another! Of course, I cannot wait to see pictures of Miss Ruby with her mommy and daddy. I hope you have some of her laughing on the bouncy thing. How cute is that?

I cannot wait to hear more about your days together. Thank you for being so thorough in your post. I love hearing all the details and am thankful that you have shared so much with us at home!

Thinking of you and praying for your family while in Thailand! Lots of love coming your way!!

Julie said...

Jen,
This is so precious.It brought tears to my eyes to read you post. Things are going so well. She seems such an adorable little girl. Looking foward to some photos.
Julie

Nadine, Conn & Suri said...

oH jennifer that is so special.. I am so happy everything is working well

christina said...

I am crying and laughing all at the same time as I read this very special entry. And you are killin' me with not being able to post pictures and all. I'm one big sloppy mess tearing up reading about how sweet and lovely Ruby has been and how magical and special these first days are.
MWWWAAAAAH!

Glen and Andrea said...

Wow, I just loved reading this. I'm so, so happy for all 3 of you. A family now forever. It takes me back, I can't wait to do it again. I'm really looking forward to more posts to read of your upcoming days. It is fantastic news that it is all going so well for you so far. Just fabulous!

Chris and Terri said...

WOW! That's wonderful! I'm so so so excited for you guys and Mode Ruby Kate!!

Lizzie Lawson said...

I've been checking every day since Sunday for news - it all sounds amazing!! I'm so pleased!! I had tears when I was reading that. I'm just so so pleased she is bonding with you both. Amazing..

Anonymous said...

Oh my how this brought tears to my eyes. I love this story and I am so happy for you guys. We are going to meet our little girl this morning. Best wishes

Liz

excitedtobeafamily said...

Wow! I am so excited for your family! I can't wait to see pictures! I am also crying tears of joy for you all!

rosemary said...

Crying like a baby while reading this! What wonderful news!! Better than anything we dreamed! So thrilled to hear of the love you are all 3 sharing. Now it will just grow and grow!

Whatshername's Mummy said...

Oh my! Smiling and crying all at once, reading of your amazing experience while listening to Butterfly Moon.
I hope the rest of the trip goes as smoothly. You've clearly been blessed with an incredible child.
Thank you for sharing.
With love from Wales,
Kate

Megan said...

Tears of joy here, Jen! She sounds like such a precious little girl!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow! I am so thankful it is going well. You guys sound like you are doing great! Can't wait for pics.

Blessings~

Mireille said...

Happy tears are rolling over my cheeks for you guys!! I am so excited that Ruby is already bonding so fast!!

My Fortunate Cookie said...

I am sitting here with the biggest smile on my face and in my heart. I am so, so happy for you three that you are now a family. Ruby sounds like such a gem and can't wait to hear more details and see photos. Enjoy the rest of your stay and get home safely. A big mmwwaah! from Sage to Ruby.

Love from both of us.
Joan & Sage