Saturday, October 24, 2009

Doctor's Appointment & Play Date

We saw our pediatrician on Thursday and it went pretty good. Well, all things considered. I should say that it went well until the moment Ruby had to get 4 shots! I was so glad she only needed 4 that day but she was not so pleased. Screamed like crazy! And, hey, who could blame her? Shots suck! I felt so bad for her. She was just recovered from it when we went out in the hall and the Dr. came back over to go over a few things. She took one look at her and wailed like hell. Guess future visits will be interesting! 

Anyway, all her lab results came back and she has a clean bill of health. Turns out the only issue is that they need another TB test done (next month) and one of the thyroid tests came back a little bit higher than they like to see. However, they said the main one (that counts) was normal so they are not very concerned. We will re-test her thyroid in another month and get a few more shots, but it looks like she is A-okay! The pediatrician was open to my bringing in an Asian growth chart in and didn't seem as concerned about Ruby's weight as the first doctor. I told her what we are feeding her in a day and she thought it all sounded good. Ruby was 11 kg last week and 11.35 this week. So it's not much, but at least she gained a little bit! It's 25 lbs by our standards, but I am comparing it to her weight when we got her in Thailand so we always check the kgs.

Friday we had a fun play date with a new local friend, Dawn, and her cutie-pie little girl, Brianna (from China). It was a little chilly, but the girls sure didn't mind! They had a ball on the slides and we all got to know each other over a little lunch and play. It was very nice and Ruby seemed to like her new friend.

This weekend we are hoping to get together with my brother and Ryan again and Jeff's parents are thinking of coming up tomorrow. The weather is rainy again this weekend so we are seriously wondering if we will ever get to that pumpkin patch. Will have to be during a weekday, I guess! Good weekend to you all!

Update on sleeping: 
Well, we are falling into a schedule, alright, but not like the one we had in Thailand. Ruby is going to bed pretty good (most nights) but for the last few days she wakes up at 3 or 4 am. I bring her into bed with me and let her sleep till morning. Sometimes she still tosses and turns, waking every hour for a few minutes then going back to sleep. Sometimes we will actually get a few hours in a row. She smiles so big though when she finally gets up and sees Mommy next to her. And last night our cuddle time was so sweet I actually put her in her crib and thought seriously about snatching her right back out of her crib and going to be early! But she was already asleep and there was some yummy dessert (crock pot apple pie I made) waiting for Jeff & I downstairs. So I guiltily tip-toed out and made my escape for an hour or so before we snuck back in later.

I guess that obvious sign I was looking for has appeared. She needs some co-sleeping. She seems to be having nightmares cause she is still asleep sometimes while crying. I am still gonna let her go down in her crib as long as that works, but will let her sleep half the night with us whenever she needs. In the past I would hold and soothe her till she fell asleep and then put her back in her crib. This keeps me up for hours when I could be holding her and sleeping too, not to mention making her feel more secure. So that is the new plan...subject to change at a moments notice, of course, by the little miss! Thanks for all the great advice from my blogging friends out there! I am listening!

10 comments:

dawn said...

Some kiddies are tiny why can't they just GET IT ? It appears that Rosie is finally on the growth chart so perhaps they will leave us alone. LOL.
Ruby is a healthy girl with loving parents she will thrive and grow and be a happy healthy girl, what more do they want. Most kidlets in the US are overweight.

Ellie said...

How fun, organizing little play dates! I've been wondering where you and Jeff are sleeping. Have you been using the bed in Ruby's room? Just curious to how that's gone, and whether you've felt like you need to be in there. Sounds like things are going very well!!
Love,
e

Maci Miller said...

Yes, Dawn, I agree! And yes, Ellie, I am sleeping in her room. Only stayed in our room twice when she was solidly out.

Maci Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris and Terri said...

25 pounds is great! I would not worry about her weight at all.

Glad to hear the sleeping is going well. Play dates sound like fun!

Jessica said...

Sounds like you all are branching out more and more everyday. That's great. I was wondering about the sleeping arrangments too, thanks for sharing. It's good food for thought.

Hard to believe that the little girl who was growing up in pictures in now growing up before your eyes!

rosemary said...

Poor kiddo, I hate shots too! I'm glad to hear she got an "all healthy" on everything! And what the heck is this delicious crock pot apple pie? I must know!!

Wyndee said...

My Sophie is now 6 years old and STILL has sleeping issues. I don't know if it's some leftover orphanage issue, or if she is just so danged spoiled that she wants to sleep with Mama but we continuously struggle with her sleeping in her own bed. And she usually wins. ;-) I call it "picking my battles". My hubby calls it "caving in". ;-)

Maci Miller said...

Okay, Wyndee, that is not comforting! LOL, but thanks for letting me know what I could be up against!

Roses, I will post the recipe. It's not healthy and I am looking for an alternative to Bisquick, but is sure is yummy for a once a season treat!

Mireille said...

She is right on target! 11.35 kg = 24,97 lbs.
For a reference: my girls are 7,5 and only 19 kg = 41.8 lbs. And they are so healthy, just thin.

The average adult Thai woman is between 47-50 kg = 102 - 112 lbs. And why I know that because on every CV they put their height and weight on it, isn't that funny?