Thursday, February 25, 2010

I've Got A Plan

It's snowing...AGAIN. Hard to believe. They are calling for 50 mph winds and possible power outages. There is nothing I can do...but make a plan. So, today we are going to:

- charge all electrical appliances we may need later - cell phones, computers, flashlights, etc.
- get more firewood (Jeff is running out this morning).
- let Ruby sleep in late
- give her a long, fun bubble bath with soap confetti, shaving cream, and lots of toys
- put her in her coziest jammies and let her stay in them all day (have a back up pair downstairs in case of messes). I am planning for messes. (Read on)
- bake oatmeal raisin spoon bread
- make a collage of all things she likes from magazines and catalogs we have laying around
- make a "kitchen" collage with little bits of kitchen stuff - sponge, foil, pasta/rice, etc.
- play with pasta, rice, and extra mixes left in the cabinet. Going to give her measuring cups, spoons, a colander, and mixing bowls to "go to town" and "make" something. We have done this before with pasta and it has entertained her for at least an hour. Got the idea to use extra mixes or the almost gone stuff in the pantry from the Salsa in China blog. (Thanks Rosemary, for turning me on to her blog!) She has lots of great ideas for rainy (or snowy) days including shaving cream play. Check it out HERE.
- maybe bring in some snow again and let her play in the kitchen.
- moon sand is always a hit. I'm sure we will play with that as it's been a week or so.
- then, of course, there is always "clean up" play. I think there will be some of that going on here as well!

And now I will leave you with a poem of sorts. Okay, just thoughts, really...

The snow is pretty outside my window
I shall revel in it's beauty
And for one day I will forget my tasks
My own to do lists
My always-busy ways
I will stay in and be at peace with it
I will enjoy the moment
See it's wonder
It's magic
Through my daughter's eyes
I will be grateful for the view
And the excuse
To be snuggled in with my family
For one day the world stops
And shines it's light inside
Where the view is even more beautiful
Than the wonderland outdoors

Happy Snow Day!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like you have a great day planned. Makes me want a snow day. But, I have to tell you, I'd be mega lazy and be snuggled under a blanket with a movie and a book and not nearly as industrious as you are.

When I was a little girl, we'd bring snow inside in cake pans, we'd warm up syrup and make designs in clean snow and then eat it with spoon. I loved it! I'm not sure how clean snow actually is though.

Maci Miller said...

That's a super cute idea, Jess! We just made spoon bread cookies and a full brunch so maybe later we'll try that out! And I gotta say it would be SO easy to park ourselves in front of the tube but we've done that too much with all the snow and sick days. Trying to keep our minds and bodies active - at least for part of the day. Later we will surely be plopping on the couch!

Maci Miller said...

The other thing is that it doesn't take that long to do each activity. Toddlers bore easily. We have already done the long bath with confetti and shaving cream, baked "cookies", ate, "made" rice/pasta/noodles concoctions with bowls, spoons, etc, cleaned it all up and are about to start cutting bits for our collages...and it's only noon! I'm thinking of napping when Ruby does today!

dawn said...

I would love a snow day. We do lots of Salsa's rainy day things cos we get lots of rainy days here too especially in the summer. Picnics in tents are so much fun. We turn off the lights and use flashlights. It gets a bit cramped for us bigs but the littles get such a kick out of it so it is worth it.
I just found an email from you at our old email addy! I will ring you.