Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Library Card

Well, for the first time in AGES I am using my library card. What an amazing concept to get books for free instead of buying a zillion new ones. Yes, I have been living under a rock...obviously. No, but really the thing is I love books. Love to read them, own them, see them neatly stacked on the shelf, and even pull them down from time to time to reread or share with someone. This having to give the book back thing was hard for me at first, but the benefits to picking up new books all the time for Ruby is WONDERFUL! So off to the library we go!

They have a real cute kids section at our local library and some nice events. Jeff is taking Ruby to a Daddy and Me book-reading and craft night tonight. So excited for them to have that special time together! I took her there this week and we looked at books and brought a few home. The librarian suggested Eric Carle. Evidently, he is quite popular but I can't say I am mighty impressed. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is cute, but they are not my favorite books. Odd to me and no sweet characters. But that's me...the ever whimsical, warm and fuzzy romantic. However, Ruby seemed to like them and so did Jeff, so hey! Why not? It's better than television!

In an attempt to clean up and reorganize the ever-growing collection of things in the playroom, I moved most of the books out of there and into the living room. We read books at nap and bedtime now and I also read her one or two while in the tub. I am also thinking we should have a once a week family night in the living room where there is no toys or tv to distract us. Not sure the two of them will last a whole night each week without it but I'm gonna try! :-)



Even though I do have that library card and a seriously collection of books already, I could't resist buying 2 more. I found these online at:
 100% of the money for these sweet, sweet books goes to charity. Go to THIS website to order yours!

2 comments:

excitedtobeafamily said...

Books are so fun! I love to buy them as well but I have gotten much better about using the library. Now that the kids are reading I couldn't afford to buy all the books they want to read! I use the library to find the really good books and then I buy them! :-) The library also has books that you can download to your IPOD which is so nice because audiobooks get really pricey. My daugther also loves to listen to her favorites books, Little House on the Praries series, etc, on audiobook in her room. We love the library too!

Jessica said...

My library card is among my prized possessions. Somehow it doesn't stop me from going to Borders though. I think the coffee sucks me in!

I started doing paperbackswap.com. And, it's great. I've gotten some really nice kids books that way too.