Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sleeping & Lifebook

Well, she slept through the night. I'm NOT gonna say we are sleeping well yet, but I was glad we all got some rest for one night! The hubs and I were up late tonight. Hope I don't really regret that in a few hours. :-) I took a chance and showed her both life books today and told her her story again. She listened with interest and seemed to get it more this time. I also added something new. I showed her video we took at the orphanage during our first meeting. Her reaction was real sweet. She kept saying Ruby, Mommy! Mommy, Ruby! And then when she'd hear Jeff talking (cause he was holding the camera) she'd say Pa? And I'd say, yes, Daddy was holding the camera and took our picture. She likes this and how he kept saying she was so cute and when it was over she said "AGAIN!" I showed her again and then played one more which is with the nannies and other kids. She was a little more quiet and seemed to be thinking and maybe recognizing, but perked right up when she heard - and saw herself acting out - the Chaang song. Very cute. I think she was alright. I asked her a few times if it made her feel happy or sad or if she was ok. She said ok or happy. I told her while looking at the books and videos that if she wasn't happy it was ok to feel that way but she kinda looked at me like "why wouldn't I be happy". Not sure how much she understands but I tried to explain that she was home now and would stay home. So I felt like it went well, but I guess we'll see how the night goes!


So, this one may be a dumb question, but does anyone have a clever way of explaining the words "always" or "forever" to a 3 year old?


UPDATE: She slept all night and we are starting to think the great mystery is to skip naps! The saga continues! Until next week, folks! Have a great one and hope you are enjoying sunshine!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I'd never tried to described always, but I think if I had to, I'd say this. "Always" is even way after you're all grown up and a mommy too with kids and a house of your own. (Because when you were little didn't you think that having kids put you almost to the very end of time!)

Good luck and happy sleeping!

Kam said...

So glad things went well with the life book. Joel loves to look at things from the TRC...always wants to be in my lap when he does though. Not sure if that's a security thing but I'm happy to oblige! I'm sure you're doing great with her and it'll be easier for her {IMO} to have these things be part of her life and memory now than trying to piece all of it together later. Again, just my opinion.

Looks like you are having a great summer!

Ellie said...

Sounds like it went very well. Seeing those memories is probably very good for her. Her life there was an important part of her life. Jacob loves those things, as well. She seems like such a sweetie pie!!! So glad to hear how well she's doing!

Mireille said...

It seems like she is doing well! And I am glad!! Hard to explain these long term things to 3 year olds, she will get it, but for now I can't think of another word that she will understand?