Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Potty Training Sick Day

Sounds bad but actually it is working out okay. Rubes has a cold (nothing major, just a little cold) and it is too stickin hot to do much outside. Except go to Sesame, but I don't want to spread her germs around. So I thought this is as good a time as any to get back to that potty. I told her we would not be wearing diapers today except for bed time. Didn't even bother with training pants. Just a dress. She protested a little, but to my surprise has been doing well. So far we had 4 hits and 2 misses. Not too bad! Trying to be as casual as possible when she pees on the floor and couch and reward big (with praise and gummies) when she gets it in the potty.

I gotta tell ya, I'm exhausted! Between potty training and entertaining her it has been non stop cleaning up messes, LOL. I laugh cause it's been fun, too. We did all sorts of arts and crafts and puzzles today. She has been so good and sweet. Really enjoys painting and the art stuff. At one point I just left her for a few minutes to clean something up and came back to find glue, paint, and paper in one big globby mess! She had fun though so I just cleaned that up, too. Finally, I resorted to the television. I resisted all day but quite honestly I needed a bit of rest and she begged me for Barbie Island Princess (her favorite movie ever) while smiling up at me with those big brown eyes. We both know every song to that one and she loves singing them with me. How could I resist? Well, watching TV actually led to more cleaning of pee-pee (that's the one that ended up on the couch) cause I was about 2 minutes too late to check on her. Try to check in or ask every 15-20 minutes. Ah. Trial and error. But, still, we are getting somewhere today. At one point she came in and asked me for a diaper. That's great! She realized she had to go and we got to the potty in time! I yelped for joy and did a little victory dance. She thought this was pretty funny. We had good lessons today - our puzzle time includes numbers, colors, shapes, and memory games - and a good start back on the potty. I'm tired but happy. Suppose we both will sleep well tonight. :-)

Gotta run! Time to do a potty check in!

4 comments:

Chris and Terri said...

Doing some catchup reading and you guys have certainly been busy! Congrats on finalization - 10 months - I was wondering how long that would take!

We are coming home from the beach tomorrow. It's been amazing but I've not been able to post. Just too busy relaxing! LOL

We finally resorted to a poster size potty chart for Matt. He wanted a scooter (razor with 2 wheels - geez!!) which we told him was a big boy toy and he couldn't wear diapers if he had that. It worked. Lots of stickers and loads of laundry later, he quit "missing" in about 4 weeks.

Jessica said...

Jen, Gotta tell you, when I read about pee on the couch, I think, ohh, maybe I'm not as ready as I thought I was! But seems like you're handling it just right and are as a cool as a cucumber. Good luck, wishing much more con't progress.

Maci Miller said...

Well, Jess it is not for the faint! Parenting Ruby has been pretty easy so far so she's making up for it with the potty training! :-) Still, we are getting there. I am not taking no for an answer and yet trying to be very patient and positive about it lest I set her back. The poop on the chair incident months past was NOT one of my cool-as-a-cucumber moments and she stopped going after that!

Mireille said...

Yeah, that is what it is to be a mommy, the good and the bad! But you are a trooper and laughing about it!! And you know what at moments like that I always think to myself: will I cry or laugh about it in 1 year... mostly it is the latter :-)