Monday, August 2, 2010

A Picnic With Ruby & Ryan


What a nice start to my week. Jason had Ryan and I offered up to take the kids for the day. We started off with a little book reading which ended up with one jealous little miss in the end so I decided we better hit the park for some fun and distraction! They were SO good. I loved looking in my rear view mirror and seeing two smiling little kiddos in the back. We sang songs and played "Wonder Pets" the whole way there. I was "Tuck"- haha - and my little super heros in the back were busy saving the "butterflies" from the so-called "jar"! Such imaginative little minds! They were such sweeties and I have to say I was most proud of myself for handling 2 kids and a dog all by myself. (yes, you seasoned moms with several kids can laugh here).

Actually, before I go patting myself on the back I have to say I ALMOST pulled it off perfectly. Had my bag and the car packed with all the necessary ingredients for fun: picnic lunches, juice boxes, waters, sunscreen, bubbles, side walk chalk,...you name it! Got them to the park and systematically pulled out the stroller, packed it with our stuff. Then got Ruby out and strapped her in the stroller. Got Ryan out and had him safely holding on to the side. Got the dog out and.... and...and...sh*t! Where's the leash? Yes. I forgot the leash. So I had to call my brother to come and bring it out. Luckily, we live close by.

SO. Aside from my little leash snaffu, we had the perfect park day. We ate our picnic lunch overlooking the lake. So pretty and the kids ate well. Then Jase came for a few minutes (with leash in hand!) and watched the dog while me and the kids fed the ducks and geese. It was great. It was nice out and a bit overcast and breezy.  The lighting was sooo pretty. Got nice pics even with my very limited photography talents. LOL. Of course, my subjects are pretty darn sweet!
Excited to feed the ducks
Ruby asking for "one more" piece of bread for the ducks. LOL, she said this every time.
Cutie pies holding hands
Little ham
Ryan being so sweet with Ruby
After we fed the wildlife, Jase went home and we hit the rest of the park. Ruby in stroller, Ryan walking nicely beside, and Chloe (the dog) walking along the other side. All so well behaved! We went to the swings and slides and had a ball there as well. We hit the POTTY - yes I said potty! - and had success there before heading back. Didn't want to post about it until I was sure, BUT we are about at 95% success with the potty training! Hurray! Wasn't sure it would ever happen and none too soon with pre-school just a mere 5-6 weeks away! Anyway, our play date at the park was so nice. Gotta love the lazy, hazy days of summer!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

What fun! And you should be impressed with yourself. That's a lot of wrangling of people and things even when everyone is well behaved. I refuse to take both dogs on a walk by myself b/c it's too much work!

dawn said...

is this trick photography or were they really that far way from you? Such a gorgeous day!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Jess! No, don't worry Dawn, they weren't that far and it was only for a minute. I let them run back down to get something. They held hands the whole time and came right back. I was just on a short hill above them and they ran right up after me. Neither was remotely interested in getting in that dirty water - believe me!

c & b said...

Looks like a good time was had by all. I know you were going to have a picnic and all, but one of the things you can do is to pack a little "emergency" kit into a cosmetic bag: a pair of undies and leggings. A few wipes. A couple of books or crayons and paper. And a kiddie power bar. I actually keep that little bag in my purse but know people who keep it in their trunk.

B/c we are driving so much to speech therapy and gymnastics I have that little baggie in case (laugh if you want, but this IS how my mind works) we get into a fender bender or super heavy traffic and the kiddo wets herself or gets hungry or bored because it's taking too long.

I also keep a similar version in a "man bag" for B when he takes M out without me. We also have a little baggie with "extras" like said chalk, bubbles, etc. and leave it in the trunk. Doesn't take up too much space and saves us from packing and unpacking each time. It's there for those spontaneous moments.
christina