Thursday, November 18, 2010

Speed bumps

Things have been rather bumpy around here. My mom's health went from not great to worse. She ended up in the hospital on Monday with an alarming blood sugar level of 587. Before this Jeff's work stress hit an all time high. Both situations have given me anxiety attacks, but thankfully, my mom's blood sugar has stabilized for now and she has a new doctor and new meds. Feeling like she is gonna be okay now, thank God. Finances I am not sure about. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Jeff is working so hard and staying so positive. I love that about him. Strong and hard working and yet such a honest to goodness good guy. I think how a man handles adversity speaks volumes about his character. And, well, I can safely say that Jeff's character is INCREDIBLE. I love how he never gives up and I love how his determination is stronger than ever when under pressure. I'm not sure how he does it.

His parents came down last weekend and it was such a nice relaxing break from the hellish week we had around here. His mom and I cooked a good fall dinner together on Saturday. A small turkey and a butternut squash au gratin recipe Jeff saw in his Wine Spectator magazine. We'd been dying to try it and it turned out really good.

Ruby has been an absolute doll. A constant reminder in my life that I did something right somewhere at some point. We went to see my mom in Hbg on Tuesday and stayed the night. She came along to all her Grandma's appointments yesterday like a little trouper. Sweet, concerned, but not bothered. She had us (and all the staff and onlookers) smiling all day. She just spreads her little sunshine wherever she goes. Today I took her to the mall to go to the bounce house as a special treat. When we got there were passing the nail salon and stopped to talk to the guy who usually does my nails. "NAIL PAINTING!!!" Ruby exclaimed to him while pointing to her nails. I told her "maybe" and took her to the Disney store for a look and then the bounce house. All she wanted was to get her nails done. Yes, my daughter would rather get her nails painted pink then bounce and jump and climb till her hearts content. LOL, she couldn't be more my daughter if she tried. Ha, ha, sad, but true. :-)

So off to get our nails done we went. Mine in a nice bronze for Thanksgiving and Rubes got pink with purple sparkles on top. You should have see the glee emanating from this little person when she saw the sparkles. Like I gave her a big mound of chocolate! So funny. My nail guy, Danny, was cracking up. Mother and daughter had a nice hour at the mall then headed home. How much joy this girl gives me! Every day. It makes the bumpy stuff look like just speed bumps. Okay, except for Mom's health. Still very much on my mind, but thinking good thoughts and having faith.

Don't remember when I last had time (and energy) to check blogs. Hope to get caught up with you all soon. Still have to have Jeff scan that old wedding pic, too!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, Jen, I'm sorry. What a rough week. I hope your mom's health gets better and Jeff's business just skyrockets. A positive attitude really does make things better and it sounds like you guys are staying upbeat even with all of these hard things around you. Hugs to you and your ray of Ruby sunshine.

dawn said...

Hoping that your Mum continues to improve on a daily basis and that soon she will be all better.
Jeff is a truly wonderful hubby.
And you...what an amazing soul you are.
Wishing you peace again, very soon.

Mireille said...

That must have been a scare Jen, I hope your mother reacts well to the new medication and soon she will be her good old self!!

Good luck with Jeff's work, I hope better times come soon. Because that will ease your mind as well, at least Ruby is an ever shining sunshine in your house. I love the fact that she looks so much like her mother!! How cool is that!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this.
I send you all best wishes for overcoming life’s obstacles.

All the best, Boonie

Jenny Beattie said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog. Ruby is really cute!

I'm sorry your Mum has been unwell. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Wendy said...

Glad to hear your mom is on the mend. It's so wonderful that our girls can bring a ray of sunshine into our lives even on our darkest days.

Ellie said...

So sorry, Jen. The good thing is that your mom is being treated, and I'm sure they will find the perfect treatment for her. Definitely frightening, though, to have that happen!!

Poor Jeff. That is the hardest thing for a guy to handle! Sounds like he is one great guy, though!!! Hang in there! I'm certain it will pass.

And little Ruby... that story is TOO cute!
Sending hugs,
Ellie