Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Brand New Year!

2010 was an amazing year. We became parents. We watched our our daughter learn and grow, hear and thrive, love and be loved. We laughed a whole lot and at times cried tears of joy. We learned that love is bigger and more wonderful than we ever imagined. So many incredible moments and beautiful new firsts!

But life is great. There is always the more around the bend. More to choose and the chance for a new start in every day. No better time to decide that then a brand new year, filled with possibilities and new memories to make! Resolutions are often started, but not always followed through all year round. Still, I love to try! My sister in law calls them "intentions" instead of resolutions and I like that much better! So below is my list of goals and positive intentions for the new year!

1. Kick fear in the butt! Go for more, have more fun, worry a lot less!
2. Dance more! Signed Ruby up for ballet yesterday. Signing me up for Zumba at the gym next week.
3. Cook more. Need to cook more healthy food and bag the baking till next year's cookie season. (okay or at least take a break for a bit!)
4. Kick the sugar habit! Jeff and I started the South Beach diet yesterday. No sugar, few carbs, and no alcohol for 2 weeks. The hardest part is having to eat eggs for bfast every day. I get real sick of them. But it's only 2 weeks and then I can add back in fruit and whole grains. We both have had success with this in the past so I'm feeling confident that a 10 lb lighter me is on the way! 
5. Back to the gym! I started this in Nov, but skipped a few weeks over the holidays. Ready to try Zumba, get back to yoga, and a whole lot of cardio.
6. Sing more! Gig out now and then. Sell more CD's. Make more $$ for charity. Record a new jazz CD.
7. Be more silly! Take life less seriously and laugh out loud more. (Should be easy with a kid who keeps us laughing a LOT)!
8. Give more. Find a regular local charity where I can donate my time and help out.
9.  LOVE more. Find something beautiful in everything and everyone.
10. Make more quality time for me and the hubs. And definitely more date nights!
11. Manage my time better. Spend less time on FB and blogger, and more time planning my next day, next meal, and more fun activities for me and Rubes, etc.
12. Bring back glamour! Who says a stay at home mom can't be glamorous? I say she CAN! I'm getting my nails done again. Got some highlights. Taking better care of myself. Putting in a little extra effort to look and feel glam again. Not a lot of time. Just a little here and there. I'm still an Ugg wearing mom but I started to pull out the high heels again and take a little more time on the make-up (my new MAC make-up helped up the glam factor!) And your know what? It feels good!
13. Read more. I just ordered a book call The Power by the same chic that wrote The Secret. I love positive books like that. It just puts a spring in my step and gets me going in the right direction. A little reminder to stay positive and live life to the fullest...even in the dead of winter! :-)
14. Get back to a regular "lesson" day with Rubes where we do puzzles and speech and numbers. Also have a goal to teach her more about clocks, time, months, and how to use the calendar.
15. Get back to a regular bed time schedule where the lil miss is in bed by 8 or 8:30 again!
16. And the biggest challenge...get this blog printed into books and finish her bday book from last year! I would really love to do ONE book a year after that,  summarizing each year of her life. I have LOVED the books I did on blogger. Here is a preview of the one I did for the inlaws for Christmas. Want to make one for ourselves but with more of the photo shoot pics.
You can see the whole book if you click on the above link.

What are your intentions or resolutions for the New Year? What are you most excited about? I hope the new year holds much love and joy for you all and many children safely home in their parents arms!

3 comments:

Mireille said...

Wow, pretty impressive list Jen! But the word intentions is a good one ;-)

Maci Miller said...

I hear you Mireille! I, 11, 13, and 16 are my big challenges.... plus the diet. Was so easy the 1st 2 days. I was so optimistic when I wrote it but feel soo sick today (cold/flu) that I broke down and had some green goddess juice today. Just felt I needed the vitamins. Hopefully, that little slip didn't mess me up too bad.

Wendy said...

Now, Jen...haven't you read enough of my blog by this point to know to stay clear of Zumba? LOL!