Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday Morning Reflections

"Each morning of the year has it's own beauty" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I am appreciating the beauty today. It is rainy, but not cold. I'm sitting in my kitchen with a warm cup of green tea and loving the peace and quiet this morning has to offer. Ruby is at school. She slept all night in her bed...even after waking up once in the night. I told her it was okay from across the room and she stayed in bed and went back to sleep. She is amazing. Such is her comprehension and compassion, that after just a few days of good talks she is already back to her own bed. The night mares are lessening, too.  I guess it needed some real dedication on my part. I've been explaining how we all need to get more sleep to stay healthy and happy and how she is learning to grow and be a big girl. I've reiterated how she is safe and we will always be there...if not in her room, then in the house. We've watched movies and read books and talked about bravery and growing up and what a wonderful feeling it is. We started a calendar with smiley face stickers for every morning she wakes up in her own bed. She'll get a special treat or present for every week she has all smilies. I am still in the room with her. She goes down pretty easy and I slip out for a bit, then come back to sleep there in case she wakes up. But I am weaning her off of me at night. Three nights she woke up, cried, but went right back to sleep without crawling in bed with me. The next step is going back in my own room. And that's coming. We did this once b4 (had her in her own bed every night, I mean). So I know we can do it again.

After her bday we will take the big bed out of there and replace it will some of her toys and toy bins from the playroom downstairs. I'm going to make it a wonderful, fun place to be, play, and sleep. I'm thinking of finding a guardian angel or fairy of some sort to "watch over" her and a pic of Mommy & Daddy right by her bed to remind her we are always there. I feel peace in knowing we have a plan. A gentle plan that (so far) does not included letting her sob herself to sleep. And I am really being consistent. I guess I really wasn't before and if I am real honest, I wasn't ready to let go either. She is so darn snuggly and sweet and her "baby" stage went by soooo quickly.  I can hardly believe how quickly she has grown. But she's gonna be 4. Momma has got to untie the apron strings and let her become a big girl. I see it now and we are finally getting somewhere. Woo hoo!

I am also happy this morning for a silly reason. My grocery store now delivers and FREE for first time customers. Oh the joy of sitting on my tush, watching the rain come down and knowing I don't have to trudge out to the grocery store in the rain. I placed my order online while looking up recipes from the box beside me. I planned my meals for the week and all my groceries will come to my doorstep by tomorrow afternoon. Yes, I am rather overjoyed with this new arrangement!

I will leave you with a few shots of the family from last Tuesday's gathering:
Silly Ryan and Ruby pretending to be scary monsters.
LOL, they look like demon children here - especially Ruby - but I assure you they were just having fun.
From left to right: Ryan, my bro Jason, cousin Llara, Lin, Uncle Bob, Robin, cousin Kristy, and Aunt Lu. A really fun impromptu family gathering. Can't remember when I've had so much fun.

Many good things to reflect on this morning. Most of all my family, my health, my lazy rainy morning. Oh, and let's not forget free deliveries! :-)

4 comments:

c & b said...

I know you didn't ask, but can I offer a suggestion? When you are ready to move the big bed out of R's room have her help you with the move somehow. I have found that when we have a "big" transition with M it goes a lot better when she's a part of introducing that transition.

Can't believe she's gonna be 4 soon!
christina

Jessica said...

Sleep (and free grocery deliveries) is a beautiful thing! Sounds like you're making real progress.

Tonight was our first night w/o a bottle. Let's just say he didn't let go without a fight. But he fell asleep in my arms, so we'll consider it a victory.

love your calendar with stickers idea. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Maci Miller said...

Thanks, Christina! Great idea!
Jess - that is definitely a victory! Count them all! :-)

Ellie said...

Wow! Isn't parenting so much fun, and so challenging at the same time?! They keep us on our toes... "Are we doing the right thing?" ... Sounds like you're doing a great job, Mom! :)