Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome 2012!

Happy New Year! Can you believe it's 2012? Are you ready for a brand new year?
Now I don't buy into all the end of the world stuff associated with the Mayan calendar ending in 2012. No more than I believed the world was going to end in 1999. Seems pretty likely to me that the 2013 Mayan calendar was broken or lost - seeing that it was, ya know, a pretty long time ago and all. However, I did allow myself to reflect on this thought for a minute: What if this WAS the last year of civilization? What would I do differently? Who or what would I dedicate my time to? Would I worry less and laugh more? Be more daring? Care less about what others think? Try something new? Forgive more? Love more? Give more? Go with the flow more? Yes, I decided. I absolutely would do all of the above. So then the next question I gave myself was -why not live every day like that? I am certain some days will be easier than others and sometimes I will fall short. But I am gonna give it my best shot.

This year instead of writing resolutions I am going to continue working on the ones I set in 2011 and stay on the path I started last year. I read a few blogs lately where they come up with a word for the year. Being a gal of many words, I couldn't narrow it down to just one so here are my few:

LOVE, PEACE, BALANCE, CREATIVITY, GRATITUDE

Of the resolutions I had last year, I'm happy to say I achieved a good many. I  found a band, started singing again, got distribution in 3 countries, learned the in's and out of social media (with the help of a good friend), marketed my CD's a lot more, sold a lot more, and raised more for charity. I changed my look, updated my website, got new pics done, and lost 5 of the 15 lbs I wanted to lose. (The last 10 are coming off this year!) I did go back to the gym as intended, but never started Zumba. And I sure didn't cook more, but hey, maybe this year! I watched and guided my daughter as she has grown and cherished every moment of it. I made more time for dates with the husband. I also sought (and continue to seek) balance. For me that means the balance between family and career, compromise and standing my ground, working hard and letting myself rest, knowing when to hold on and when to let go. Knowing when to get those posts and photo albums done and when to just be in the moment instead of feeling like I have to write down every last detail. It's all a delicate juggling act and I think as women we are both naturally inclined to try to handle it all and hard on ourselves when we fall short of our expectations. Trying to be more gentle on myself these days and be content in my own skin. That means accepting myself even with those few extra lbs, those few lines, those few tasks still undone... on those days when I don't cook, those days when I'm not supermom, and not beating myself up for the suitcase from Disney still not unpacked in the closet. It's all ok. I am just like every other woman. Doing the best I can with what I've got. Somedays I am stellar. Someday I am definitely not. But it's all part of the journey and I (think) I am learning much as I go along. :-)

But the most important of my New Year's words is this: GRATEFULNESS. This year there is so much to be grateful for. 1st, my husband. We've made it through 16 years of ups and downs and are stronger than ever. We had such a nice holiday this year. It was more about being together and less about gifts. Seeing our family, giving more to the kids, and helping those in need. Tied for 1st is my Ruby. My incredibly sweet daughter who lights our life every single day. I can't imagine life without her and the honeymoon is still not over. I thank God for her every day. No words can really describe how much we love that girl and how much joy she gives us. It's amazing to see her grow and learn and discover her world around her more each year. I am grateful for my family. I love how much more often we've gotten together with everyone. I am very thankful that my mom's health and well being has improved this last year. Also for our health, our home, our friends, our animals, a warm fire on a cold day, a rare warm sun-shiny day in winter (like yesterday) when I can watch Ruby laugh and run at the park with the dog. For the good things in my life that have made me smile and the "bad" things that have made me learn and grow. I have been blessed by all of it.
This was our quiet New Year's eve dinner by the fire. We ate finger food and watched Mr. Popper's Penguins. So nice and relaxing. Out b4 midnight. I never thought I would do that (let alone admit it) and be glad for it. We were so partied out from the holidays. It was the perfect way to ease into the New Year.

My wish to all of you is to have the very best new year you wish to live! One lived in the moment. One filled with laughter. One filled with LOVE, PEACE, BALANCE, CREATIVITY, & GRATITUDE.

2 comments:

dawn said...

You are inspirational.

happy new year to you and your lovely family.

Jessica said...

Happy New Year, Jen. You totally reinvented yourself this past year. It's been so much fun to watch! Here's to a fabulous 2012.

PS- Out before midnight - haha. We did New Year's Eve Friday night b/c we had a baby sitter. Sat. I fell asleep on the couch!